The Apple OS 3.0 firmware for iPhone 2g, 3G, 3GS, iPod Touch 1g, 2g has a lot of new features
- Peer-to-peer gaming support
- Third-party game accessory support
- Push notification
- Internet tethering
- Stereo Bluetooth audio
- MMS messaging
- Cut, copy & paste
- Spotlight search
- Landscape keyboard in Mail, Messages, Notes and Safari
PwnageTool for Mac OS X could unlock iPhone 2G only on Mac and didn’t support Windows. Download PwnageTool 3.0 (Mac users only)
Ultrasn0w 3.0 is just like yellowsn0w and it will allow for the unlocking of iPhone 3G, 3GS phones. Below are instructions for using UltraSn0w.
Purplera1n is windows tool for iPhone 3GS jailbreak and unlocking. Instructions here.
Redsn0w is a lightweight, multi-platform jailbreaking and unlocking tool developed by iPhone Dev Team to jailbreak and unlock your iPhone 2G (original iPhone), the iPhone 3G and 3GS and also the iPod touch (first and second generation). Redsn0w provides similar functionality to that of QuickPwn.
Required Software Download links for Upgrading, Jailbreaking and Unlocking
- Apple iTunes 8.2 Direct Link – Required
- Redsn0w 0.8 for Windows | Mac | Linux – Required
- Bootloader Files bl39.bin & bl46.bin or both - Required for iPhone 2G
- iPhone OS ipsw for 2G phone download – Required for iPhone 2G
- iPhone OS ipsw for 3G phone download - Required for iPhone 2G
- iPod touch 2G 3.0 download - Required for iPod Touch 2G
- iPod touch 1G 3.0 download - Required for iPod Touch 1G
Instructions for Updating to OS 3.0, Jailbreak and Unlocking any iPhone 2G and updating, Jail breaking iPhone 3G, 3GS iPod Touch for use with any GSM cell phone carrier.
- Before beginning make sure you have updated to iTunes 8.2 and Downloaded required applications into a folder on desktop.
- Connect the iPhone to iTunes and Upgrade to Firmware 3.0 for iPhone. ( tip: hold shift and click the update button to choose the downloaded ipsw file ). iTunes will backup the phone first and update the firmware and restore the backup to phone.
- Close iTunes and Start Redsn0w for Windows from downloaded files. Browse the appropriate .ipsw firmware file from the folder and click on ‘Next’ to proceed.
- If you want to unlock the iPhone then select ‘Unlock’ option from the window. Make sure you also select ‘Install Cydia’. Once done, click on ‘Next’ to continue. There is no Installer on firmware 3.0.
- A bootloader window will appear ( if its iPhone 2G ), select the bootloaders from downloaded directory and perform the instructions given on the screen.
- Once you finish with the above process. Switch off the device and click ‘Next’ to start with DFU mode. Put your phone in DFU mode by using screen instructions. (Hold the power and home button simultaneously and connect the cable. You need to hold them for 10 secs and then release the power button while holding the home button. Hold until the phone enters into DFU mode.)
- The redsnOw tool will automatically start the unlocking procedure. You will be notified that RedSn0w is done. Click the Finish button. When your iPhone finishes reboot (5 minutes or so). voila.
note: There are lot of discussions that iPhone 3.0 2g runs very warm. From official apple discussion thread – To avoid the battery drain, turn off push notifications and wifi. I don’t think that affects the warm issue as it stays pretty hot anyway. For wifi, make sure to reset your settings on the phone because after doing the 3.0 update the phone will supposadly be trying to connect to the net constantly. The reset of the network settings may stops this. Buy a Silicon case as it dissipates a lot of the heat.
Instructions for Jailbreaking any iPhone 3GS with OS 3.0 with purplera1n. ( alternate method ) Read here.
Instructions for Unlocking any iPhone 3G , 3GS with OS 3.0 with UltraSn0w
- Ensure you have upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0 using above steps. Jailbreak your iPhone 3G, 3GS using redsn0w or PwnageTool.
- Run Cydia or Icy in your jail broken iPhone 3G, 3GS
- Please add the repo repo666.ultrasn0w.com to Cydia or Icy. That last “o” is actually the number zero “0”.
- Search for ‘ultrasn0w’ in Cydia or icy and install ultrasn0w
- Reboot your iPhone 3G , 3GS
- tip: T-Mobile USA users should disable 3G before using ultrasn0w